Accessible Housing

Accessible Housing

Choice for people with disabilities and older Pennsylvanians to enjoy a home that suits their needs and abilities is a primary goal of SDHP.  But most homes across the state do not provide the access many people with disabilities need to live independently and enjoy all aspects of their homes.  Home modifications, accessible new housing, and visitability in housing are three areas where this problem can be reduced.

Home Modification Funding Programs

PHFA: Access Home Modification Program

The ACCESS Home Modification Program provides mortgage loans to assist persons with disabilities or who have a family member(s) living in the household with disabilities who are purchasing a home that needs accessibility modifications. This program provides a deferred payment loan, with no interest, and no monthly payment. The loan becomes due and payable upon sale, transfer, or non-owner occupancy of the property. Learn more

PHFA: HomeStyle Renovation Program

The Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency offers the HomeStyle Renovation Program which allows eligible homebuyers purchasing a home or existing homeowners seeking a refinance mortgage to repair, remodel, renovate or complete energy improvements. Qualified borrowers can fund up to 50% of the as completed appraised value of the property. This allows buyers to make needed repairs right away, without having to take out another loan at a higher rate and with a shorter repayment period. This program can be used in conjunction with the HFA Preferred Program and the HFA Preferred Risk Sharing Program.

The HomeStyle Renovation Program may be combined with PHFA’s Keystone Advantage Assistance Loan, as applicable. Two-unit properties are not eligible for this program. Learn more

Pennsylvania Department of Human Services: Home and Community Based Services

Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) are also known as Waiver Funded Services or Waiver Programs. The name waiver comes from the fact that the federal government “waives” medical assistance rules for institutional care in order for Pennsylvania to use the funds for HCBS. HCBS provides for supports and services beyond those covered by the Medical Assistance (also referred to as Medicaid) program that enable a person to remain in a community setting rather than being admitted to a Long Term Care Facility. Currently the Department of Human Services administers 12 HCBS programs. Each HCBS program has its own eligibility requirements and services.

If a person is determined eligible for more than one HCBS program, the person cannot receive services under two or more such programs at the same time. The person must choose one HCBS program and receive the services provided by it. Learn more

PA Assistive Technology Foundation (PATF)

PATF can help people with disabilities and older Pennsylvanians get the assistive technology they need by providing the following programs:

  • Low-interest and 0% interest financial loans
  • Information and assistance about possible funding resources
  • Financial education through publications and individual counseling

Learn more 

Locate Assistive Technology

The Pennsylvania Initiative on Assistive Technology is a project of the Institute on Disabilities at Temple University that provides Pennsylvanians of all ages and disabilities with information, assistance, and training on assistive technology devices and services. Locate assistive technology providers

Area Agencies on Aging

Each Aging office across the state provides a variety of programs to assist disabled older Pennsylvanians.  Find your local Area Agency on Aging office

U.S. Rural Development Agency (USRDA)

USRDA offers loans and grants to assist those living in rural areas. Find your local USRDA office or call 1-800-670-6553.

VA Home Loans

The US Department of Veterans Affairs helps Servicemembers, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners by providing home loans and other housing-related programs. Learn more

VA Specially Adapted Housing Grant

The US Department of Veterans Affairs provides grants to Servicemembers and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help purchase or construct an adapted home, or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability. Two grant programs exist: the Specially Adapted Housing grant and the Special Housing Adaptation grant. Learn more

Centers for Independent Living (CIL)

CIL’s are consumer-controlled, community-based, cross-disability, non-residential, private, non-profit agencies that are designed and operated within a local community by, and for, individuals with disabilities and provide an array of Independent Living Services. Find your local CIL